The city of Golub-Dobrzyń is located in the north- eastern part of the Kujawy and Pomorze Province, close to the convenient transport routes ( 42 km away from Toruń ), in the proximity of a popular tourist route from Western Europe to Wielkopolska and further towards Warmia and Mazury ( the Polish Lake District ). Golub-Dobrzyń is the main city in the region with a unique historical heritage, abundant in monuments of culture, picturesque landscape, and secluded nature enclaves.
The city, as if being a precious buckle, joins as many as three geographical units : the Upland of Chełmno, the Upland of Dobrzyń, and the vast, rolling Drwęca River Valley, which runs inbetween the first two regions. The town was founded half a century ago by joining two very different autonomous organisms, varying in history, customs, and architecture which to this day remains clearly recognisable.
The first written information about a village called Golub is included in the document from 1258, in which Golub is mentioned as a village from 1254. The year 2003 marks the 750th anniversary of the first mentioning of a village of Golub. The jubilee celebrations will inaugurate in February 2004.
The lands stretching on both banks on the Drwęca River in those days belonged to the Province of Mazovia (Mazowsze) being under the jurisdiction of the Prince and Bishop in Płock. The region bordering on the lands of prussia was the scene of long-lasting conflicts, forays, and mutual invasions.
The Teutonic Knights, having come to the Land of Chełmno, recognnised the military potenct of the settlement and soon the city of Golub was founded following the principles of the Chełmno Statutes. On the hill a stronghold was erected, a Gothic castle which became the local Teutonic administration centre – the residence of the Teutonic Commander.
The Drwęca River was beginning to change its role and was gradually being transformed into a border separating the lands on its banks. This was a long and complex process, influenced and stimulated by the shaping of territories of individual Provinces and Dioceses. The TeutonicKnights strengthened thier presence in and domination over the Land of Chełmno, while on the other bank the Kingdom of Poland was getting ready for the war with the Teutonic Order. Both the city and the castle suffered greatly and repeatedly in numerous conflicts of this kind.
By the terms of the Second Peace Treaty in Toruń, the Land of Chełmno along with the city of Golub came back within the boundaries of the Kingdom of Poland. The city, seriously impaired by its chequered past, finally found the opportunity to develop freely and could draw on the manifold and diverse contacts with the Kingdom.
The ‘Golden Age’, of Golub started with King Sigismind Vasa ascension to the Polish throne. The Kind granted the Land of Golub to his sister Anne, who was appointed the statost of Golub. The King’s visit to Golub in 1623 constitutes a symbolic to the pinnacle period in the city’s history.
In consequence of the first partition of Poland in 1772, Golub was incorporated into Prussia and once again became a border town. This fact had a considerable affact on the local economic boom, stimulated first of all by the cross-border smuggling businesses. Dobrzyń, situated on the other bank of the Drwęca River, once a suburb of Golub, in the new political situation was rapidly developing into a competitive city.
Both cities played their roles in the glorious episodes of the national uprisings.
Dobrzyń welcomed the newly-found independence in the autumn of 1918, when the so-called Second Polish Republic was being formed on the lands of the former Russian sector of partitioned Poland. Golub had to waint two more years, until the Polnish army took over Pomerania (Pomorze) from the hands of the Germans.
The Drwęca River continued to separate the two cities which after administrative divisions found themselves in different Provinces.
Only after Second World War, in 1951 were the two towns combined to from one city of Golub-Dobrzyń, which went to become the seat of the district government in 1956.
Golub-Dobrzyń takes up the area of 7.5 sq. km and has a population of 13 300. the city is a major centre of social and economic life, the seat of the parish, city and district authorities. It belongs to the Federation of Polish Cities, to the Association of Parishes of Northern Mazovia, and to the Society of Parishes of the Copernicus Route.
It is located in the very centre of the Golub-Dobrzyń District and is a dynamic focal point of the industrial, trade and cultural activities for the neighbouring parishes. It is here that the main educational, cultural, and health care institutions, industral plants, and services are located.
The attractiveness of the place for investors has been recently enhanced by the establishment of a new industrial city district equipped with complete technical infrastructure and situated within a convenient distance from major roads andtransport facilities.
A special role in the cultural and tourist life of the city and in its promotion is played by the Golub teutonic castle, situated on top of the hill. Among the events organized there and recognised in Europe, one should count International Knights Tournaments, International Oratory Tournaments, famous balls attended by celebrities. Moreover, the Knights’ School, the only of its kind in Poland, is attached to the Golub castle.
The Old Town abounds with monuments of architecture. There is Gothic parish church with the Sigismund bell, the third largest in Poland, there are the fragmends of the medieval city walls with towers and a moat. The register of monuments also includes the Old Town, the evangelical church, and the Empire-style catholic church.
The Golub-Dobrzyń region is also a perfect place for recreation and relaxation. The Drwęca River meandering through the city welcomes all canoeing rallies and angling lovers. The river is a fish life resreve for protection of the family Salmonidae fish.
Beautiful forests in the area of Sokołów teem with eild game and wild fowl and prove a perfect destination for those keep on hunting. Furthermore, the natural scenery scattered with numerous woods and lakes will satisfy all visitors in search of relaxation and beauty of the nature.
Basic data about Golub-Dobrzyń
The mission of the city: Golub-Dobrzyń is a strong local centre, focused on provision of comprehensive services to the neighbouring areas in terms of trade, crafts, commercial services, and education. The city welcomes tourists, intends to develop its tourist potential on the basis of the existing monuments of history and natural resources.
Area: 750 ha, including: housing – 150 ha, industry, warehouses – 83 ha, communication, transport – 48 ha, forests – 122 ha.
Popultion: 13 200 residents, incuding: 8 500 in the productive age, unemployment index 15-20%
Incomes of the city budget : 13 605 640 PLN (1999), including city’s own investment 2 655 993 PLN
Business venture : 900 registered, number of income tax payers: 6 300
Housing resources: 3 680 flats, including: community- owned: 1836, municipal: 804, company- owned: 57, privately-owned: 983.
Social infrastructure: elementary schools – 3 (number of students: 1867), grammar-schools – 1 (number of students: 257), secondary school – 3 (number of students: 1518), out-patient clinics – 2, hospital – 1 (number of places: 250), banks – 4, insurance companies – 4.
Technical infrastructure: water intakes under the city authorities’ jurisdiction – 7, length of the municipal water- supply system – 22 km, sewage purification stations – 1, length of the municipal sewer system – 22 km, heating plant of 17.5 MW capacity, main central heating line – 6.5 km, stationary telecommunication subscribers – 3 300.
Largest plants: GOLPASZ S.A. – producer of animal feed, concentrates, and poultry meat, AGROLOK – trade in materials for agricultural production, ADABET – concrete lements producer, MURABET – building materials wholesale, building services.
The strategy of development of the city to the year 2010
Taking advantage of the tourist and natural resources potential / extension of the tourist base, protection of the natural environment, preparation of a suitable tourist offer /.
Development of the local infrastructure / development of the technical infrastructure, development of the social infrastructure – a system of financing economic initiatives, support for the development of housing.
Development of the facilities for and restructuring of the local agriculture /support for the local crafts, provision of favourable conditions for the dewelopment of the processing industry, stimulation of the development of the agricultural market /.